Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hamilton Happenings: Jobs

Alright folks, I know many of you have been waiting on the edge of your seat for this post. It's all about Hamiltons and jobs.



When we were moving out here we heard a lot (A LOT) of negative comments from everyone, and most of them had to do with jobs: we would never find jobs, we'll live on the streets, or how long before we realize how horrible the job market is and move back to Texas.

First, if you are new to my blog, let me give you a back story on working in Texas. Jayson had been at the same job (that he loved) for 8 years, working over 50 hours a week, and was still making (and was going to continue to make for many years to come) less than some starting secretaries we know. This didn't change how much he loved the job, it just affected how many of our bills we could pay.

I was having tons of trouble finding a job, and so I went to get my teaching certification. Problem hit when there were suddenly no jobs for teachers (even subbing was few and far between).

So we knew moving out here things could only get better, right? Yes and no.

The great thing about LA is the options it provides that very few other places offer. You may not work the job of your dreams, but you can work. Since we have been here Jayson has picked up working part time writing parenting education for Emma's Children, I had the wonderful opportunity to coordinate a big CD release and charity event (AMAZING experience), and we have both been working part time as caterers.

I will admit however that our dream jobs have been at a distance, BUT we've been able to work toward them. Today, I accepted a part time job at Calamigos Equestrian . It's a part time job that will allow me to grow in the company, AND pays more at just part time than any full time job I've ever had in Texas.

I am excited to undertake this new position, and try it out. I love it because they are allowing me 1-3 months to just see how I like it, to see if I feel like it's the right fit. I like that they aren't immediately putting constraints around me.

I am looking forward to trying out this position; and if it's not the right fit, to see what else is out there for me.

As for Jayson, he has had two great interviews just this week; and he has another one tomorrow. He is still working part time for Emma's Children, but he hopes to add on a full time job soon. The opportunities out here are so varied, it's exciting to see such new and different doors open!

Hopefully, I will continue to update this topic on the blog; and I will share all sorts of new and exciting developments.

And can I just say, I love LA.

sass


08.04.2011- UPDATE: JAYSON GOT A JOB!
Jayson accepted a job at an amazing place! I will update you later when he lets me know how much I can share.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got that job!! I think it probably had something to do with the fact that I was visiting you at the time.

    ReplyDelete