Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tummy Time

Over the past year, i've been through a lot of emotional stress with the loss of two of the people i loved most in the world, my father and my grandmother.
Because of this, i've chalked up any maladies I've had to these events.

Last week, though, i discovered something pretty interesting. After many hours researching online, and a few home tests (no i haven't been to the doctor yet, in fear that their first response will be to prescribe me some medicine, instead of finding the root of the problem), I discovered that I, along with approximately 90% of Americans, have low acid level in my stomach.

All of the below will be a very simplified version of what i've discovered.

How did I know?

Basically, my symptoms continued getting worse. They were simple, but unnerving ones. I lost any appetite, my stomach lining felt irritated, and I felt nauseous pretty regularly.

Upon first research, i actually thought I had too much acid in my stomach... until i found out that low acid level and high acid level actually produce similar symptoms.

There are a couple of home tests you can do to figure out your acid level.

Easiest: When you have a stomach ache (i am talking about your stomach here, not intestines) drink a tablespoon of lemon juice. If it makes your stomach pain go away, you have low acid level. If your stomach pain gets worse, you have a high acid level.

Moderately easy: First thing in the morning, before anything else goes in your body, drink a concoction of 1/4 tsp of Baking Soda mixed with 6 to 8 oz of cold water.
Now pay attention to the clock for 5 min.
Normal acid level reaction: belch in about 2 to 3 min.
High acid level reaction: early and repeated belching.
Low acid level reaction: belching after 3 minutes.
Repeat this for 3 days to get the best results.

How did I figure out my acid level?
Both days I did this, it took me more than 5 min to burp.
I didn't even try the third day.

What does this mean?

Simplified: when your stomach doesn't produce enough acid, it doesn't digest your food properly, and you don't absorb all of the needed nutrients. It leaves you feeling heavy, tired, and overall unwell.

I'm still in the process of figuring out how to fight this, and as of now, I have found the below website to be the most helpful.

http://empoweredsustenance.com/heal-low-stomach-acid-naturally/

I just downed my first glass of apple cider vinegar and warm water... not as tasty as you would want a morning drink, but feel free to go ahead and use this time to research all of the Pros of apple cider vinegar. (hint: there are A LOT)

Of everything, i think the "don't over hydrate" section will be the hardest for me.

Have you ever experienced anything like this? Or had any experience fighting with your stomach's acid levels?

Let me know!

(and side note for those who worry: if my symptoms continue to get worse over the next couple of weeks, don't fret, i'll be making a doctor's appointment.)


No comments:

Post a Comment